- 1 cup muscadine or other sweet wine, such as sweet Riesling
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 pounds baby carrots, green tops trimmed to 1/2 inch
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cups packed dandelion greens, torn into bite-size pieces (about 3/4 pound)
- 2 bunches of watercress, large stems trimmed
- 1/2 cup Pickled Pepper Relish
- In a small saucepan, boil the wine over moderate heat until reduced to 1/3 cup, about 9 minutes; let cool. Stir in the mustard, salt, pepper and lemon juice, then whisk in the vegetable oil.
- Preheat the oven to 400°. Toss the carrots with the olive oil and spread them on a large, heavy baking sheet. Roast the carrots for about 20 minutes, or until tender and lightly browned; let cool.
- In a large bowl, toss the dandelion greens and watercress with half of the dressing. Mound the greens on 8 plates. Toss the carrots in the remaining dressing and arrange them on the greens. Scatter 1 tablespoon of the Pickled Pepper Relish over each salad and serve at once.
The carrots can stand at room temperature for up to 4 hours.
A Californian Sauvignon Blanc like those from Matanzas Creek.