- 1/2 pound ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons brandy
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1 large egg, beaten
- Pinch of salt
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- Confectioners' sugar, for dusting
- Blood Plum Puree
In a large bowl, mix the ricotta with the flour, brandy, granulated sugar, baking powder, lemon zest, egg and salt. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
In a medium saucepan, heat 2 inches of vegetable oil to 300° on a candy thermometer. Without crowding, drop tablespoons of the batter into the hot oil and fry over moderate heat until golden brown and cooked through, 1 1/2 to 2 minutes per side. Drain the fritters on a rack set over a baking sheet and repeat with the remaining batter. Dust the fritters with confectioners' sugar and serve hot or warm with the Blood Plum Puree.