Ricotta Crostini with Sausage and Peppers
- TOTAL TIME: 20 MIN
- SERVINGS: 8
More Quick Appetizers
- Eight 1/2-inch thick slices of ciabatta bread
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large garlic clove
- 2 sweet Italian sausages (6 ounces), removed from casings
- 2 high-quality whole roasted yellow or red bell peppers (5 ounces), sliced into 1/4-inch strips
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 basil leaves, thinly sliced
- Preheat the broiler. On a baking sheet, brush both sides of the bread with 2 tablespoons of the oil. Broil the bread, turning once, until the edges are deep golden, 4 minutes. Rub the garlic clove over the top of the toasted bread.
- In a medium skillet, heat the remaining 2 teaspoons of oil. Add the sausage and cook over moderate heat, breaking it up, until browned and cooked through, 4 minutes. Add the peppers and crushed red pepper and cook until heated through, 1 minute.
- Spread each piece of bread with some of the ricotta. Season the ricotta with salt and pepper and top with the sausage mixture. Sprinkle with the basil and serve.