- Eight 1/2-inch thick slices of ciabatta bread
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large garlic clove
- 2 sweet Italian sausages (6 ounces), removed from casings
- 2 high-quality whole roasted yellow or red bell peppers (5 ounces), sliced into 1/4-inch strips
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 basil leaves, thinly sliced
How to make this recipe
- Preheat the broiler. On a baking sheet, brush both sides of the bread with 2 tablespoons of the oil. Broil the bread, turning once, until the edges are deep golden, 4 minutes. Rub the garlic clove over the top of the toasted bread.
- In a medium skillet, heat the remaining 2 teaspoons of oil. Add the sausage and cook over moderate heat, breaking it up, until browned and cooked through, 4 minutes. Add the peppers and crushed red pepper and cook until heated through, 1 minute.
- Spread each piece of bread with some of the ricotta. Season the ricotta with salt and pepper and top with the sausage mixture. Sprinkle with the basil and serve.
Contributed By Melissa Rubel Jacobson