Ricotta Cavatelli with Bacon and Zucchini
- ACTIVE: 25 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 35 MIN
- SERVINGS: 8
At Casa Tua, chef Sergio Sigala turns out homemade cavatelli with a professional-style pasta machine. Since making it by hand is time consuming, we substituted fresh or frozen store-bought pasta.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 pound speck or lean slab bacon, sliced 1/4 inch thick and cut into 1-inch strips
- 2 medium zucchini, cut into 1 1/2-by- 1/4-inch matchsticks
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 pounds fresh or frozen ricotta cavatelli or gnocchi
- 1 large tomato, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1/2 cup shredded basil
- 1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for serving
- Heat the olive oil in a large, deep skillet. Add the speck and cook over moderate heat until crisp, about 8 minutes. Transfer to paper towels to drain.
- Pour off all but 1 tablespoon of the speck fat. Add the zucchini; season with salt and pepper. Cook over moderately high heat, stirring, until barely softened, about 2 minutes. Return the speck to the skillet and remove from the heat.
- In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook the cavatelli until al dente. Drain, reserving 1/4 cup of the pasta cooking water. Add the cavatelli, reserved cooking water and tomato to the skillet. Season with salt and pepper. Toss gently over moderate heat until heated through.
- Transfer the pasta to a large shallow bowl and toss with the basil and 1/3 cup of the Parmesan. Serve at once, passing additional Parmesan at the table.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.