- 7 pounds turkey parts, such as wings, thighs and drumsticks
- 4 quarts water
- 1 large onion, thickly sliced
- 1 large carrot, thickly sliced
- 1 large celery rib, thickly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper
How to make this recipe
- Preheat the oven to 400°. In a large roasting pan, roast the turkey parts for 1 1/2 hours, or until well browned; transfer to a large pot.
- Set the roasting pan over 2 burners. Add 4 cups of the water and bring to a boil, scraping up the browned bits from the bottom. Add the liquid to the pot.
- Add the onion, carrot, celery, garlic, salt and several pinches of pepper to the pot along with the remaining 3 quarts of water and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to moderately low, cover partially and simmer the stock for about 2 1/2 hours. Strain the stock and skim the fat before using or freezing.
The stock can be refrigerated for 3 days or frozen for 1 month.