Rich Mushroom Stock
- TOTAL TIME: 2 HR 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: about 6 cups
This flavorful stock from chef Michael White is a great substitute for vegetable stock in any dish that includes mushrooms.
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound white mushrooms, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 thyme sprig
- 1 rosemary sprig
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- 1/2 cup Marsala
- 2 quarts water
- In a pot, heat the oil. Add the mushrooms, onion, carrots, celery, garlic, thyme, rosemary, bay leaf and peppercorns and cook over high heat until the vegetables are softened, 15 minutes. Add the Marsala and cook until evaporated, about 5 minutes. Add the water and bring to a boil. Simmer over moderate heat until reduced to 6 cups, 2 hours. Strain the stock, pressing down on the solids.
Make AheadThe stock can be refrigerated for up to 5 days or frozen for up to 1 month.