- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 plum tomato, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon sweet paprika
- Pinch of saffron threads, crumbled
- 1 cup arborio rice
- 2 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 confit duck legs, skinned and meat coarsely shredded
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced chorizo
- 1/4 cup sliced pitted kalamata olives
- 1/4 cup diced dried apricots
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
How to make this recipe
Preheat the oven to 375°. In a large ovenproof skillet, heat the oil until shimmering. Add the onion and garlic and cook over moderately low heat until softened, 5 minutes. Add the tomato and cook until softened, 5 minutes. Stir in the paprika and saffron. Add the rice and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add half of the broth and gently simmer until absorbed, 8 minutes. Stir in the duck, chorizo, olives and apricots and season with salt and pepper. Add the remaining broth and bring to a boil.
Bake the skillet uncovered until the rice absorbs the liquid and is tender, 16 minutes.
Spicy, blackberry-rich red from Portugal's Dão region.