Rice and Tuna Sashimi Salad (Hwe topbap)
- SERVINGS: 4 TO 6 SERVINGS
Anya von Bremzen tasted this Japanese-influenced variation of bibimbop in the funky seaside town of Pohang, where the waterfront is lined with restaurants specializing in amazing raw seafood. The play of textures and temperatures in this simple dish is irresistible.
- Steamed Rice
- 1/2 pound sashimi-quality tuna or fluke, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 2 cups coarsely shredded red-leaf lettuce
- 1 cup shredded shiso or perilla leaves, or spearmint (see Note)
- 1 small red onion, halved and thinly sliced lengthwise
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
- Korean Chili Sauce
- Asian sesame oil, for drizzling
- Mound the rice in a large bowl. Scatter the tuna, lettuce, shiso, onion and sesame seeds over the rice and drizzle on some of the Korean Chili Sauce. Season with salt and toss with 2 large spoons until evenly mixed. Drizzle a little sesame oil over the salad and serve.