- Steamed Rice
- 1/2 pound sashimi-quality tuna or fluke, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 2 cups coarsely shredded red-leaf lettuce
- 1 cup shredded shiso or perilla leaves, or spearmint (see Note)
- 1 small red onion, halved and thinly sliced lengthwise
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
- Korean Chili Sauce
- Asian sesame oil, for drizzling
How to make this recipe
Mound the rice in a large bowl. Scatter the tuna, lettuce, shiso, onion and sesame seeds over the rice and drizzle on some of the Korean Chili Sauce. Season with salt and toss with 2 large spoons until evenly mixed. Drizzle a little sesame oil over the salad and serve.
Shiso, or perilla, is a fragrant, leafy Japanese herb with jagged edges. It is used as a flavoring and as a garnish in salads, sushi and cooked dishes. It has a gingery taste and a cinnamon-like aroma. Shiso is available at Asian markets from summer through fall.