- 2 cups dried kidney beans, soaked overnight and drained
- 1/3 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut cream
- 14 thyme sprigs
- 1/2 medium onion, finely chopped
- 6 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 cups parboiled white rice
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt
How to make this recipe
Prepare the beans
In a large enameled cast-iron casserole, combine the soaked and drained beans with the coconut milk, coconut cream, thyme sprigs, onion, scallions, salt and allspice. Add enough water to cover the beans by 2 inches and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce the heat to low and simmer the beans until tender, about 1 hour. Drain the beans; discard the thyme sprigs.
Prepare the rice
In a medium pot, combine the parboiled rice with the coconut milk, onion, scallions, garlic, salt and 3 3/4 cups of water. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to moderately low, cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
Stir 4 cups of the drained beans into the rice. (Save the remaining 2 cups for another use.) Cover and cook for 10 minutes, then uncover and cook for 5 minutes longer. Fluff the rice and peas with a fork and serve.
The rice and peas can be refrigerated for up to 3 days. Reheat before serving.