- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 large white onion, finely diced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, finely diced
- 1 medium green bell pepper, finely diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Kosher salt
- 2 cups long-grain rice, rinsed
- 1 quart chicken stock or low-sodium broth
- 1 bay leaf
- One 14-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
How to make this recipe
In a large, deep skillet, heat the olive oil. Add the onion, peppers, garlic, cumin and a generous pinch each of salt and pepper and cook over moderately high heat, stirring occasionally, until softened and just starting to brown, 8 minutes.
Add the rice to the skillet and cook, stirring, until coated with the aromatics, about 2 minutes. Add the stock and bay leaf and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer over low heat until the rice is tender and all of the broth has been absorbed, about 20 minutes. Remove from the heat and let stand, covered, for 15 minutes. Fluff the rice with a fork, fold in the beans and season with salt and pepper. Cover and let stand for 5 minutes. Discard the bay leaf and serve.
The rice and beans can be refrigerated for 2 days.