Ribs with Hot-Pepper-Jelly Glaze
- ACTIVE: 30 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 3 HRS plus overnight marinating
- SERVINGS: 10 to 12
Grace Parisi dry marinates then roasts baby back and spare ribs before grilling them with a spicy red-pepper-jelly glaze. The resulting ribs are irresistibly caramelized.
- 2 tablespoons coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon dried orange peel
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons chile powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 4 English-cut beef short ribs, about 6 inches long (3 pounds)
- 2 racks baby back ribs (6 pounds), membranes removed
- 2 racks spareribs (4 pounds), membranes removed
- 1 1/2 cups hot red pepper jelly
- 1/4 cup white miso
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons Sriracha (or to taste)
- Sesame seeds and chopped scallions, for garnish
- In a spice grinder, grind the coriander and orange peel. Add the sugar, chile powder, garlic powder, onion powder and 1 tablespoon each of salt and pepper; pulse to combine. Rub the spice mix over the ribs and place in a large roasting pan. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 325°. Put the short ribs in a small baking dish and cover with foil. Roast for 30 minutes.
- Put the baby back ribs and spareribs on 2 rimmed baking sheets and cover with foil. Roast all of the ribs until tender, about 2 hours longer. Carefully pour the pan drippings into a medium bowl and skim off the fat. Reserve 1 1/2 cups of the drippings and discard the rest.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan, combine the pepper jelly with the miso, lemon juice, Sriracha and the reserved pan juices. Simmer the glaze for 5 minutes, whisking.
- Light a grill. Arrange all of the ribs on the grill and cook over moderately high heat, turning and brushing with half of the glaze, until nicely caramelized, about 15 minutes. Transfer the ribs to a work surface. Cut the baby back and spareribs in between the bones and slice the short ribs. Garnish with sesame seeds and scallions and serve the ribs with the remaining glaze on the side.
Crisp, balanced beer: Anchor Steam.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.