Rhubarb and Berry Nectar With Mint
- SERVINGS: 4 to 6
- 1/2 bunch fresh peppermint (about 1 cup loosely packed leaves)
- 1 pound rhubarb stalks (all leaves removed and discarded), cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup red wine (Beaujolais or Syrah are good choices)
- 1/2 cup cranberry juice
- 6 ounces strawberry jam
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 6 ounces blackberries, blueberries, or strawberries, washed and hulled
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 4 to 6 slices brioche or pound cake, or 8 to 12 cookies
- Remove the stem tips with a few leaves attached from 4 to 6 of the mint sprigs, and set them aside for use as a decoration. Gather the remaining sprigs of mint into a bundle, and tie them together with kitchen twine. Place the mint in a saucepan (preferably stainless steel), and add all the remaining ingredients except the berries, sour cream, and pound cake.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, cover, reduce the heat to low, and cook for about 8 minutes. Add the berries, bring back to a boil, and cook, covered, for 2 minutes. The mixture should be somewhat soupy. Cool, cover, and refrigerate until serving time.
- For each serving, arrange about 1 cup of the rhubarb and berry mixture in a deep plate. Place 1 rounded tablespoon of sour cream in the middle. Top with one of the reserved mint sprig tips. Serve with a slice of brioche or pound cake or a few cookies.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.