Rhona Lauvand's Berry Marinade
- SERVINGS: makes 1 cup
This extraordinary syrup from pastry chef Rhona Lauvand coaxes surperb flavor from even less-than-perfect berries. This amount of syrup will dress 8 cups of berries. Let the berries marinate at least 1 hour or overnight in the refrigerator before serving.
- 2/3 cup water
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 4 strips of lemon zest
- 2 strips of orange zest
- 1/3 vanilla bean, split lenghthwise
- 1/3 cup fresh or frozen raspberries
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- In a small saucepan, combine the water, sugar and citrus zests. Scrape the seeds from the vanilla bean; add the seeds and bean to the pan. Simmer over moderate heat for 5 minutes. Cool to room temperature, then strain the syrup into a blender. Add the raspberries and puree until smooth. Strain the puree, then stir in the orange and lemon juices.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.