Red Wine Bagna Cauda with Crudités
- ACTIVE: 15 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 35 MIN
- SERVINGS: makes about 3 cups
This garnet sauce is grilled meat.
More Party Dip Recipes
- One 750-milliliter bottle dry red wine, such as Nebbiolo
- 1/4 cup marinated white anchovy fillets, drained and chopped
- 4 oil-packed anchovy fillets, drained and chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- Finely grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 1 1/2 cups extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Assorted crudités, such as baby carrots, radishes, fennel and bell peppers, for serving
- In a large saucepan, boil the wine over high heat until reduced to 1 cup, about 20 minutes. Let cool.
- In a blender, combine the reduced wine with the anchovies, garlic, lemon zest and lemon juice and blend until smooth. With the machine on, add the olive oil in a thin stream. Season with salt and pepper.
- Transfer the bagna cauda to a medium saucepan and rewarm over low heat. Pour into a serving bowl and serve with the crudités alongside.
The richness of the olive oil in bagna cauda makes it ideal with tannic red winesespecially when the dip is made with a Piedmontese Nebbiolo, as in Cosentino's version.