- 4 small radishes, thinly sliced
- 1/2 small fennel bulb—halved, cored and shaved paper-thin
- 1/2 small red or yellow bell pepper, finely diced
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped cilantro
- 1 tablespoon snipped chives
- 1 tablespoon finely shredded mint leaves
- 1 grapefruit
- 1 navel orange
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Four 6-ounce skinless red snapper fillets
- Preheat the broiler. In a large bowl, toss the radishes, fennel, bell pepper, jalapeño, cilantro, chives and mint. Using a sharp knife, peel the grapefruit and orange, removing all of the bitter white pith. Working over the bowl, cut between the membranes and release the sections into the bowl. Squeeze the membranes over the bowl. Add the 2 tablespoons of olive oil and the lemon juice to the bowl and season the salad with salt and pepper.
- Set the fish on a well-oiled, sturdy baking sheet and brush with olive oil; season with salt and pepper. Broil 6 inches from the heat for 4 minutes, on one side only, just until white throughout. Using a spatula, transfer the fish to plates. Top with the salad and serve.
A Washington Riesling.