- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh oregano
- 1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- Two 2-pound whole red snappers, cleaned
- Kosher salt
- Canola oil, for brushing
- 2 heads of radicchio (1 pound), quartered through the core
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated orange zest plus 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
How to make this recipe
In a roasting pan or large baking dish, whisk the lemon juice with the oregano and 1/3 cup of the olive oil. Using a sharp knife, make 3 diagonal slits 1/2 inch deep on both sides of each fish. Season the fish inside and out with salt and pepper and add to the marinade; turn to coat. Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes, turning once.
Light a grill and brush the grate with canola oil. Grill the fish over moderate heat, turning once, until cooked through, 13 to 15 minutes per side. Transfer to a platter.
In a medium bowl, toss the radicchio with the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill over moderate heat, turning, until lightly charred and crisp-tender, about 3 minutes. Arrange on the platter. Drizzle the fish and radicchio with the orange juice, vinegar and olive oil. Sprinkle with the orange zest and serve.
This is a great dish to pair by color: pink food with pink wine. Try this beautiful fish with a juicy rosé from California.