Red Quinoa Salad with Roasted Brussels Sprouts, Apricots and Almonds
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR
- SERVINGS: 4 to 6
For this protein-rich, multi-textured salad, quinoa and roasted brussels sprouts are tossed with a mustard-shallot vinaigrette. The salad gets a delicate sweetness from dried apricots and a nutty crunch from toasted almonds. It’s perfect with roast chicken or stuffed into roasted squash halves.
- 1 pound brussels sprouts, quartered
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup red quinoa
- 1/2 cup dried apricots (2 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon agave nectar
- 3/4 cup salted roasted almonds, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- Preheat the oven to 425°. In a large bowl, toss the brussels sprouts with 1 tablespoon of the oil and season with salt and pepper. Spread the brussels sprouts on a rimmed baking sheet and roast for about 25 minutes, stirring once, until tender and charred in spots; let cool completely.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, cover the quinoa with 2 cups of water. Add a large pinch of salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Cover and cook over low heat until the water has been absorbed and the quinoa is tender, about 15 minutes. Spread the quinoa out on a plate and let cool completely.
- In a heatproof bowl, cover the apricots with hot water and let soak until plumped, about 10 minutes. Drain the apricots and cut them into 1/4-inch dice.
- In a small bowl, whisk the vinegar with the shallot, mustard, agave and the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil. Season the vinaigrette with salt and pepper.
- In a large bowl, toss the brussels sprouts with the quinoa, apricots and almonds. Add the vinaigrette and parsley and toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper and serve.