- 6 pounds medium red potatoes
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 cup Creole or Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1/2 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
- Freshly ground pepper
How to make this recipe
- In a large pot, cover the potatoes with water, add a large pinch of salt and boil until just tender, about 25 minutes. Drain and let cool slightly.
- In a small skillet, toast the fennel seeds over moderate heat until lightly browned, about 40 seconds. Let cool, then crush the seeds to a coarse powder in a mortar. Transfer the fennel to a bowl and stir in the mustard, mayonnaise, vinegar, Worcestershire, shallot and garlic.
- Quarter the potatoes and transfer them to a large bowl. Add the mustard dressing and toss well. Season with salt and pepper. Serve warm or chilled.