- 3/4 pound red potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 14 sheets of phyllo dough
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- Sweet-and-Sour Tamarind Chutney
How to make this recipe
- Preheat the oven to 350°. In a medium saucepan of boiling salted water, cook the potatoes and peas until tender, about 6 minutes. Drain well and transfer to a bowl. Stir in the chili powder, caraway seeds and garam marsala and season with salt and pepper.
- Spread 1 sheet of phyllo on a work surface with a long side facing you. Brush the sheet with melted butter and set another sheet on top of it. Cut the sheets crosswise into 2-inch strips. Set 1 teaspoon of the filling at the bottom end of a strip; fold the corner over the filling to form a triangle. Continue folding the phyllo up and over, onto itself like a folded flag, sealing the last fold with melted butter. Transfer to a baking sheet and brush with melted butter. Repeat to form the remaining samosas.
- Bake the samosas for about 25 minutes, or until golden brown. Serve hot or at room temperature with the tamarind chutney.
The samosas can be refrigerated, covered, overnight before baking. Brush with butter just before baking.