- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1 small onion, minced (about 1/2 cup)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups farmer cheese (15 ounces), softened
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 stick (4 ounces) unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly, plus 3 tablespoons chilled butter
- 2 tablespoons minced rosemary
- Preheat the oven to 375°. In a medium skillet, heat the olive oil until shimmering. Add the red bell pepper, onion and garlic and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- Preheat a 9-inch cast-iron skillet in the oven for 5 minutes. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk the cornmeal with the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. In a food processor, puree the farmer cheese until smooth. Add the eggs, 1 at a time, and process until blended. Add the milk and the melted butter and process until smooth. Transfer to a bowl and stir in the pepper and onion mixture and the rosemary. Add the cheese mixture to the dry ingredients and beat with a wooden spoon until the batter is just moistened.
- Add the 3 tablespoons of chilled butter to the cast-iron skillet and swirl to coat. Pour the batter into the hot skillet, smooth the surface and bake for about 50 minutes, or until the corn bread is golden and a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean. Cut the corn bread into wedges and serve.
The corn bread can be wrapped in foil and refrigerated for up to 2 days. Rewarm in a 325° oven.