Red Onion Marmalade
- SERVINGS: MAKES ABOUT 1 CUP
Tim Keating's simple savory marmalade is also wonderful with grilled steak, pork chops, tuna, and quail.
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 medium red onions, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon currant jelly
- In a large skillet, toast the cumin and coriander seeds over high heat, shaking the pan, until fragrant and lightly toasted, about 10 seconds. Transfer the seeds to a plate to cool, then grind in a mortar or spice grinder.
- Melt the butter in the skillet. Add the onions, garlic, salt and pepper and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until the onions are wilted, about 5 minutes. Reduce the heat to low and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are very soft and caramelized, about 15 minutes. Add the toasted spices and cook for 1 minute. Add 1/3 cup of water and simmer until the mixture is thick and jammy, about 5 minutes. Stir in the currant jelly and let cool to room temperature.