- 1 cup red lentils
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- Fresh cracked black pepper, to taste
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 cup all purpose flour, for coating
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1 small cucumber, minced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- Pinch of kosher or sea salt
How to make this recipe
- Make the sauce Combine the yogurt, cucumber, mint, and salt in a bowl. Chill until ready to serve.
- Make the fritters Thoroughly rinse the red lentils in a fine-holed colander. Combine the lentils and water in a saucepan. Bring the water to a simmer, then reduce the heat to low, cover the saucepan with a lid, and cook for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and allow the lentils to absorb the water for another 5 minutes.
- Make the fritters In a bowl, mix together the cooked lentils, garlic, cumin, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Make the fritters Put both the egg and flour each in individual bowls large enough dip the fritters in. Form the lentil mixture into 2-inch flat patties (about 2 tablespoons per patty). Dip the patties in the egg, coating both sides, and then coat the patties with the flour.