- 4 large, moist Medjool dates (3 ounces), pitted and chopped
- 6 oil-packed anchovy fillets, drained and chopped
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons finely grated orange zest
- 1 teaspoon grated garlic
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 medium fennel bulbs (2 pounds)—trimmed, cored and very thinly sliced
- 8 red endives (1 1/2 pounds), leaves separated
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Kosher salt
- Coarsely ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 ounces Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, shaved (about 1/3 cup)
How to make this recipe
- In a medium bowl, using a wooden spoon, mash the dates with the anchovies, lemon zest, orange zest and garlic to form a coarse paste. Stir in the vinegar, then whisk in the olive oil.
- In a very large bowl, toss the fennel and endives. Add 1 tablespoon of the lemon juice and half of the dressing; with your hands, gently massage the dressing into the endive leaves. Season the salad with salt, pepper and more lemon juice to taste.
- Line a platter with half of the endives and fennel and scatter with half of the cheese. Repeat with the remaining endives, fennel and cheese. Drizzle some of the remaining dressing over the salad, season with pepper and pass the rest of the dressing at the table.
Contributed By Nancy Silverton Photo © Chris Court