Red Curry Chicken Kebabs with Minty Yogurt Sauce
- TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN plus 2 hr marinating
- SERVINGS: 8 to 10
- 2 1/2 tablespoons Thai red curry paste
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- Kosher salt
- 2 1/2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3/4 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- 1/4 cup low-fat mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped mint
- In a large bowl, mix the curry paste with the oil and 2 teaspoons of salt. Add the chicken cubes and toss to coat. Let stand at room temperature for up to 2 hours or cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Light a grill. In a medium bowl, whisk the yogurt with the mayonnaise, honey, lime juice and mint and season with salt.
- Thread the chicken onto 10 skewers, leaving 1/4 inch between the cubes. Grill over moderately high heat, turning frequently, until lightly charred and cooked through, about 8 minutes. Serve the kebabs with the minty yogurt sauce on the side.
Off-dry Riesling is a classic pairing for Thai curries (or curried kebabs like these); the light sweetness cools the curry's fire, and the vibrant fruit can compete with the spiciness. Some of the country's best Rieslings come from Washington state.