Red Chile BBQ Sauce
- ACTIVE: 25 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 44 MIN
- SERVINGS: makes about 1 1/4 cups
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/4 cup minced onion
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 dried ancho chiles, stems and seeds discarded, chiles cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 cup canned crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 1 tablespoon finely grated orange zest
- 1 teaspoon chopped thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- In a small saucepan, heat the oil. Add the onion, garlic and ancho chiles and cook over moderate heat until fragrant, about 4 minutes. Add the tomatoes, vinegar, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, orange juice, orange zest, thyme and cayenne. Simmer over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until thickened and flavorful, about 20 minutes. Season with salt.
One Serving: 202 cal, 12 gm fat, .6 gm saturated fat, 31 gm carb, 2 gm fiber.
Grill Match: Pork, chicken.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.