Red Cabbage Slaw with Lemon Dressing
- SERVINGS: 6 to 8
This crisp, refreshing cabbage and sprout slaw can be made with any variety of sprouts, from leafy sunflower, alfalfa and radish sprouts to sprouted lentils, chickpeas and beans.
- 1/3 cup raw sunflower seeds (1 1/2 ounces)
- 2 teaspoons coarsely chopped jalapeño
- 3/4 cup canola oil
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 head of red cabbage, cored and cut into 1/4-inch-wide strips (8 cups)
- 2 large carrots, coarsely shredded
- 4 ounces mixed sprouts, such as sunflower and radish (about 3 cups)
- Freshly ground pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Spread the sunflower seeds on a baking sheet and toast in the oven for about 8 minutes, or until fragrant. Let cool.
- In a blender or food processor, combine the jalapeño, canola oil, lemon juice, salt and sugar and process until smooth.
- In a large bowl, toss the cabbage with the carrots and sprouts. Add the dressing and the toasted sunflower seeds and toss to coat. Season with pepper, toss again and serve.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.