- 1/3 cup raw sunflower seeds (1 1/2 ounces)
- 2 teaspoons coarsely chopped jalapeño
- 3/4 cup canola oil
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 head of red cabbage, cored and cut into 1/4-inch-wide strips (8 cups)
- 2 large carrots, coarsely shredded
- 4 ounces mixed sprouts, such as sunflower and radish (about 3 cups)
- Freshly ground pepper
How to make this recipe
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Spread the sunflower seeds on a baking sheet and toast in the oven for about 8 minutes, or until fragrant. Let cool.
- In a blender or food processor, combine the jalapeño, canola oil, lemon juice, salt and sugar and process until smooth.
- In a large bowl, toss the cabbage with the carrots and sprouts. Add the dressing and the toasted sunflower seeds and toss to coat. Season with pepper, toss again and serve.
The slaw can be refrigerated for up to 8 hours before serving.