© Maura McEvoy
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 3/4 cups whole milk
- 4 cups fresh corn kernels (from 8 medium ears of corn)
- 3 large eggs
- Freshly ground pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375°. In a medium saucepan, melt 5 tablespoons of the butter. Add the flour, sugar and salt and cook over moderately high heat for 1 minute, whisking constantly. Gradually whisk in the milk and cook over moderately high heat, whisking, until the sauce thickens, about 5 minutes.
- In a large nonstick skillet, melt the remaining 1 tablespoon of butter. Add the corn and cook over moderately high heat until crisp-tender, about 4 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, beat the eggs. Gradually whisk in the hot white sauce. Add the corn and season with pepper.
- Lightly grease a 9-inch cast-iron skillet and heat on the stovetop. Pour in the corn mixture and bake for about 30 minutes, or until the pudding is cooked through and golden. Let cool slightly.
Make Ahead The corn pudding can be baked earlier in the day and reheated in a 325° oven.