- 1 cup milk
- 4 elephant garlic cloves, halved
- 1 jalapeño, stem removed
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- One 1 1/2-pound head napa cabbage, shredded
- One 1 1/2-pound head red cabbage, cored and shredded
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced scallions
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- In a small saucepan, combine the milk, garlic and jalapeño and simmer over low heat for 5 minutes. Pour off the milk. Cover the garlic and jalapeño with the cream and simmer over low heat until the garlic andjalapeño are tender, about 8 minutes. Let cool to room temperature.
- Remove the jalapeño from the cream and scrape out the seeds. In a blender, puree the jalapeño with the garlic, cream and mayonnaise until smooth. Scrape the mixture into a bowl and whisk in the vinegar and honey. Season the dressing generously with salt and pepper.
- Just before serving, in a very large bowl, toss the napa and red cabbages with the scallions and carrots. Add the dressing, toss to coat and serve.
The dressing can be refrigerated for up to 1 day.