- 1 cup milk
- 4 elephant garlic cloves, halved
- 1 jalapeño, stem removed
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- One 1 1/2-pound head napa cabbage, shredded
- One 1 1/2-pound head red cabbage, cored and shredded
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced scallions
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- In a small saucepan, combine the milk, garlic and jalapeño and simmer over low heat for 5 minutes. Pour off the milk. Cover the garlic and jalapeño with the cream and simmer over low heat until the garlic andjalapeño are tender, about 8 minutes. Let cool to room temperature.
- Remove the jalapeño from the cream and scrape out the seeds. In a blender, puree the jalapeño with the garlic, cream and mayonnaise until smooth. Scrape the mixture into a bowl and whisk in the vinegar and honey. Season the dressing generously with salt and pepper.
- Just before serving, in a very large bowl, toss the napa and red cabbages with the scallions and carrots. Add the dressing, toss to coat and serve.
Make AheadThe dressing can be refrigerated for up to 1 day.