Red and Green Bell Pepper Relish
- SERVINGS: MAKES ABOUT 4 CUPS
This relish goes well with Ducktrap River's hot smoked salmon. It needs a week in the refrigerator; plan accordingly.
- 1 1/2 cups finely shredded green cabbage
- 3 large red bell peppers, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 large green bell pepper, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 celery rib, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced jalapeño
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons yellow mustard seeds
- 3/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seeds
- 1/4 cup sugar
- In a large stainless-steel saucepan, toss the shredded cabbage with the bell peppers, onion, celery and minced jalapeño. Add the vinegar, salt, mustard seeds, turmeric, celery seeds and sugar; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce the heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables just soften, about 20 minutes.
- Transfer the relish to glass jars and let cool, then cover and refrigerate for 1 week before serving.
Make Ahead The relish can be refrigerated for up to 1 month. Serve With Pan-Fried Corn Cakes.