- 1 1/2 cups finely shredded green cabbage
- 3 large red bell peppers, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 large green bell pepper, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 celery rib, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced jalapeño
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons yellow mustard seeds
- 3/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seeds
- 1/4 cup sugar
How to make this recipe
In a large stainless-steel saucepan, toss the shredded cabbage with the bell peppers, onion, celery and minced jalapeño. Add the vinegar, salt, mustard seeds, turmeric, celery seeds and sugar; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce the heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables just soften, about 20 minutes.
Transfer the relish to glass jars and let cool, then cover and refrigerate for 1 week before serving.
The relish can be refrigerated for up to 1 month.