- 2 cups finely diced crustless country bread
- 3 garlic cloves, halved
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for the grill
- 1 ancho chile, stemmed and seeded
- 1/2 cup pine nuts, toasted
- Freshly ground pepper
- 2 1/2 pounds mixed zucchini and yellow summer squash
- 1 cup loosely packed mint leaves, torn
- 1 cup loosely packed flat-leaf parsley
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 5 ounces feta, crumbled (1 cup)
How to make this recipe
- Preheat the oven to 325°. On a baking sheet, toss the bread and garlic with 2 tablespoons of the oil. Bake for 20 minutes, until the bread is lightly golden; transfer to a bowl and crush.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, cover the ancho with water and microwave for 1 minute. Let stand for 5 minutes. Scrape the ancho flesh from the skin and add to the bread with the pine nuts; mash until moist crumbs form. Season with salt and pepper.
- Light a grill. Using a wide vegetable peeler, thinly slice one-third of the zucchini and summer squash into ribbons and refrigerate. Cut the rest into 1/4-inch rounds and transfer to a bowl; toss with 3 tablespoons of the oil. Season with salt and pepper. Grill over high heat until lightly charred, 5 minutes; return to the bowl. Add the ribbons, mint, parsley and tomatoes and toss.
- In a bowl, whisk the lemon zest and juice with the remaining oil; season with salt and pepper. Toss the dressing with the salad. Add the feta and toss again. Sprinkle with the pine nut crumbs. Serve.
Generous, fruit-forward Italian rosé.