- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 1 small sweet onion, finely chopped
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 cups cooked ditalini or other small macaroni (from 1 cup uncooked pasta)
- One 15-ounce can white beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 cups leftover Ratatouille Spirals or other roasted or grilled vegetables
- 2 tablespoons shredded basil leaves, plus whole small leaves for garnish
- In a large pot, heat the 2 tablespoons of oil. Add the onion and garlic and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 8 minutes. Add the tomato and cook for 1 minute. Add the broth and 1 cup of water and bring to a boil. Add the pasta, beans, Ratatouille Spirals and shredded basil and simmer for 5 minutes. Ladle the soup into bowls, garnish with olive oil and basil leaves and serve.
Mediterranean-inspired dishes go well with wines from that region. Have this pretty, herbal soup with a Provençal rosé.