- ACTIVE: 1 HR
- TOTAL TIME: 2 HR
- SERVINGS: 6
The Good News By combining a little ground turkey (a lean source of protein) with lots of summer vegetables (like red bell pepper), Joy Manning creates a meaty yet superhealthy burger. To give the patties a nice brown crust, she cooks them in her beloved cast-iron skillet.
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 oil-packed anchovy fillet, drained and chopped
- 1 large shallot, minced
- 1/2 medium red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 small eggplant (6 ounces), peeled and coarsely shredded
- 1 medium zucchini, coarsely shredded
- 5 oil-packed sun-dried tomato halves, drained and finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons chopped thyme leaves
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 slices of white sandwich bread, crusts removed
- 6 ounces ground turkey breast
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 6 hamburger buns, split
- 3 ounces fresh goat cheese, softened
- In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Add the anchovy and cook over moderate heat until it dissolves, about 2 minutes. Add the shallot and red bell pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 5 minutes. Add the eggplant, zucchini, sun-dried tomatoes and thyme and cook over high heat until any juices have reduced and the vegetables begin to brown, about 8 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Remove from the heat and season generously with salt and pepper. Scrape the vegetable mixture onto a plate and freeze until cold, about 10 minutes.
- In a food processor, process the bread until fine crumbs form.
- In a medium bowl, mix the chilled vegetable mixture with the bread crumbs, ground turkey and egg. Form the mixture into six 1/2-inch-thick patties and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Arrange the buns cut side up on a baking sheet and spread the goat cheese on the tops. Bake for about 8 minutes, until the buns are hot and the cheese is softened.
- Meanwhile, in a large cast-iron skillet, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil until shimmering. Cook the burgers, turning once until browned on the outside and cooked through, about 10 minutes total.
- Transfer the burgers to the bun bottoms, close the sandwiches and serve.