- 2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup sugar, plus more for sprinkling
- 1 stick cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 1 cup fresh raspberries
- 1 tablespoon raspberry jam
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon whole milk
- 1 large egg
- Heavy cream, for brushing
How to make this recipe
- In a large bowl, whisk the 2 cups of flour with the baking powder, salt and the 1/4 cup of sugar. Using a pastry blender or two knives, cut in the butter until it resembles small peas. Add the raspberries and toss. In a small bowl, whisk the jam into the milk until dissolved; whisk in the egg. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients all at once and stir until the dough is evenly moistened and the raspberries are slightly smashed.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface. Sprinkle the dough with a little more flour and pat into a 1-inch-thick disk. Using a 3-inch round biscuit cutter, stamp out as many scones as you can. Gently gather the scraps, press them together and cut more scones. Transfer the scones to a baking sheet and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400°. Brush the tops of the scones with cream and sprinkle generously with sugar. Bake the scones for about 17 minutes, until golden and cooked through. Transfer the scones to a rack and let cool slightly before serving.
The scones can be made up to 6 hours ahead.