© Antonis Achilleos
Rare Roast Beef with Fresh Herbs and Basil Oil
- ACTIVE: 20 MIN
- TOTAL TIME:
- SERVINGS: 6
- 1 1/2-pound beef eye of round roast
- 1/2 cup mix of finely chopped rosemary, mint and tarragon
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves
- Preheat the oven to 475°. Generously coat the roast with half of the chopped herb mixture and season with salt and pepper.
- In a large ovenproof skillet, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over moderately high heat. Add the roast and lightly brown it on all sides, about 3 minutes. Wipe out the skillet, return the meat to it and roast in the oven until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the center registers 110°, about 25 minutes. Transfer the roast to a cutting board and season again with salt and pepper. Cover loosely with foil and let rest for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring a large saucepan of salted water to a boil and fill a bowl with ice water. Blanch the basil in the saucepan for 15 seconds. Transfer the basil to the ice water; drain well and squeeze out all of the excess water. Transfer the basil to a blender. Add the remaining 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil and a pinch of salt and blend thoroughly.
- Thinly slice the roast and drizzle each portion with 1/2 tablespoon basil oil. Sprinkle with the remaining 1/4 cup chopped herbs and serve.
NotesOne serving 200 cal, 36 gm carb, 10.4 gm fat, 2.1 gm sat fat, 26 gm protein.
Rich, spicy Napa Cabernet.