- 12 ramps, trimmed
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 large plum tomato, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
How to make this recipe
- Preheat the oven to 400°. Bring a large skillet of salted water to a boil. Cut the green leafy tops off the ramp bulbs. Add the greens to the skillet and boil until tender, about 2 minutes. With a slotted spoon, transfer the greens to a colander. Add the ramp bulbs to the skillet and boil until just tender, about 4 minutes. Drain the bulbs and cut them in half lengthwise. Squeeze the greens dry and coarsely chop them.
- Butter an 8-by-10-inch shallow baking dish. In the skillet, melt the butter. Add the tomato and cook over high heat for 1 minute. Add the ramp greens and bulbs along with the cream and season with salt and pepper. Simmer over moderate heat, stirring gently, until the cream is slightly reduced, about 2 minutes. Transfer the contents of the skillet to the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle with the cheese and bake for about 10 minutes, until bubbling.
- Preheat the broiler. Broil the gratin until browned on top and serve hot.
The blanched ramps can be refrigerated overnight.