- 1 pound bakery white bread, crusts removed, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 Granny Smith apple, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 cup golden raisins (6 ounces)
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups whole milk
- 2 tablespoons unsulfured molasses
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Spread the bread cubes on a baking sheet and toast in the oven for 6 minutes, until crisp. Transfer to a bowl and add the apple and raisins.
- Generously butter six 8-ounce ramekins and set them on the baking sheet.
- In a medium bowl, using a handheld electric mixer, beat the egg yolks with the sugar until pale, about 3 minutes. Beat in the ground spices, vanilla and salt.
- In a medium saucepan, heat the milk with the molasses until warm to the touch. Gradually beat the warm milk into the egg yolk mixture, scraping the bottom and side of the bowl. In another bowl, using clean beaters, beat the egg whites at high speed until stiff. Fold the whites into the custard.
- Pour the custard over the bread mixture and stir until moistened. Let stand for 5 minutes. Spoon the mixture into the prepared ramekins, distributing the raisins and custard evenly. Sprinkle the almonds on top. Bake in the center of the oven for about 40 minutes, until puffed and set, with the tops lightly browned. Let the bread puddings rest for at least 15 minutes before serving.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.