- 3 garlic cloves, unpeeled
- 3 large tomatoes (1 1/2 pounds)
- 1 medium cucumber
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 medium sweet onion, unpeeled
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup chopped mixed herbs, plus more for garnish
- 1 cup cold water
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
How to make this recipe
- Light a grill. Wrap the garlic cloves in a sheet of foil. Grill the tomatoes, cucumber, green and red bell peppers, onion and garlic package over a medium-hot fire, turning occasionally, until the vegetables are charred all over and almost softened, about 8 minutes for the tomatoes, cucumber and bell peppers, 10 minutes for the garlic and 15 minutes for the onion. When the vegetables are cool enough to handle, remove the charred skins as well as any stems and seeds and chop them coarsely.
- Transfer all of the vegetables, including the peeled garlic, to a food processor and puree. With the machine on, gradually add the 1/4 cup of olive oil, then blend in the vinegar. Add the 1/4 cup of the herbs, then transfer the mixture to a bowl. Stir in the water and season with salt and pepper. Refrigerate until chilled. Ladle the gazpacho into bowls, drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with herbs and serve.