Radish Greens Soup
- SERVINGS: 6
Be sure to pick bunches of radishes with very fresh-looking leaves for this earthy, slightly bitter soup.
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 12 cups radish greens (from 4 large bunches of radishes), coarsely chopped
- 1/2 pound scallions, white and tender green, cut into 1-inch lengths
- 4 1/2 cups water
- Salt and freshly ground white pepper
- In a large saucepan, melt 3 tablespoons of the butter over moderately high heat. Add the radish greens and scallions and cook, stirring occasionally, until wilted, about 4 minutes. Add the water, bring to a boil and simmer until the vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes. Let cool slightly. Puree the soup in batches in a blender, about 2 minutes per batch.
- Gently reheat the soup in a clean saucepan. Swirl in the remaining 3 tablespoons of butter and season with salt and white pepper. Serve in shallow soup plates, garnished with the Croutons.