Â© Fredrika StjÃ¤rne
Radicchio Salad with Semolina Croutons and Pecorino
- TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 6
More Great Green Salads
Main Course Salads
- 3 ounces semolina bread, sliced 1/4 inch thick and cut into 1/2-inch sticks (2 cups)
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons freshly grated pecorino cheese
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup sun-dried tomato halves
- 1 cup water
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon chopped thyme
- One 1-pound head radicchio—halved lengthwise, cored and thinly sliced
- Preheat the oven to 350°. On a large, rimmed baking sheet, toss the semolina bread with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of the pecorino and season with pepper. Bake for about 8 minutes, until the croutons are golden brown.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine the sun-dried tomatoes with the water and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer over moderate heat until the tomatoes are tender, about 8 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the tomatoes to a work surface. Boil the cooking liquid over high heat until reduced to 2 tablespoons, about 7 minutes. Let cool.
- Coarsely chop half of the sun-dried tomatoes and reserve. Mince the remaining tomatoes and transfer to a large bowl. Whisk in the tomato reduction, garlic, vinegar, thyme and the remaining 3 tablespoons of olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Add the radicchio and the reserved sun-dried tomatoes to the dressing and toss well. Add the semolina croutons and the remaining 2 tablespoons of pecorino, toss again and serve.