Quinoa Salad with Roasted Peppers and Tomatoes
- ACTIVE: 45 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR
- SERVINGS: 10
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cups quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups fresh orange juice
- 2 cups water
- Kosher salt
- 1 large red bell pepper
- 1 large yellow bell pepper
- 1/2 cup pine nuts
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 medium cucumber—peeled, halved, seeded and finely diced
- 1 large beefsteak tomato, seeded and finely diced
- 1/4 cup finely chopped basil
- 1/4 cup finely chopped mint
- Freshly ground black pepper
- In a medium saucepan, heat the 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Add the quinoa and cook over moderately high heat, stirring, until lightly browned, about 4 minutes. Add the orange juice, water and a generous pinch of salt and bring to a boil. Cover and cook over low heat until the liquid is absorbed, about 15 minutes. Fluff the quinoa with a fork and spread on a baking sheet to cool.
- Meanwhile, roast the red and yellow peppers directly over a gas flame or under the broiler, turning occasionally, until charred all over. Transfer the peppers to a bowl, cover and let steam for 10 minutes. Peel and seed them and cut into 1/4-inch dice.
- In a medium skillet, toast the pine nuts over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until golden and fragrant, about 5 minutes. Transfer the pine nuts to a plate to cool.
- In a large bowl, whisk the remaining 1/4 cup of olive oil with the vinegar. Add the quinoa, peppers, pine nuts, cucumber, tomato, basil and mint and toss well, breaking up any lumps of quinoa. Season the salad with salt and pepper and serve.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.