- 4 medium red beets
- 1 teaspoon grapeseed oil
- 3/4 cup quinoa
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 clove of garlic, finely minced
- Sea salt
- 1 large naval orange
- 2 cups of arugula or spinach
How to make this recipe
- Roast the Beets Preheat the oven to 425°. Peel and quarter the beets, place in a medium sized bowl and toss with the grapeseed oil. Wrap the beets in aluminum foil and place on a baking sheet. Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes, or until the beets are softened enough to be pierced with a fork but still have some firmness to them. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, Prepare the Quinoa and Dressing Place the quinoa and water in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium high heat, then reduce the heat to low. Cover and cook for 12 minutes. Remove the quinoa from the heat and set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, Prepare the Quinoa and Dressing In a small bowl whisk together the maple syrup, apple cider vinegar, extra-virgin olive oil, balsamic vinegar and garlic. Taste and salt as necessary. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, Prepare the Quinoa and Dressing Peel the orange and cut into 1-inch segments, being careful to remove the pith.
- Meanwhile, Prepare the Quinoa and Dressing To assemble the salad, place the cooled quinoa in a large bowl and toss with dressing. Add the beets, orange segments and arugula or spinach and toss gently to coat.
The quinoa, beets and dressing can all be prepared up to 3 days in advance. Assemble the salad just before serving.