- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon pure chile powder
- 1 carrot, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 zucchini, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 tomato, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed and drained several times
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 cup chopped mint
- 1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Freshly ground pepper
- Heat the olive oil in a medium saucepan. Add the onion and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until softened, about 2 minutes. Stir in the turmeric and chile powder, then add the carrot, zucchini, tomato and 1 teaspoon of salt and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the quinoa, stock and bay leaf and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat to low, cover and cook until the quinoa is al dente, about 12 minutes. Discard the bay leaf. Fold in the mint and parsley, season with salt and pepper and serve.
One Serving 229 calories, 6.3 gm total fat, 0.8 gm saturated fat, 37 gm carb.