© Todd Porter & Diane Cu
Quinoa, Chicken, and Cheddar Quesadillas
- TOTAL TIME: 45 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
This quesadilla is a meal in itself: stuffed with cooked quinoa, chicken and melted cheese. Add a salad on the side and dinner is served.
Slideshow: Southwestern/Tex-Mex Recipes
- 1/2 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 cup water
- Pinch of kosher or sea salt
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion
- 1/2 pound boneless, skinless chicken, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 8 eight-inch flour tortillas
- 6 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- Combine the quinoa, water and salt in a medium saucepan. Bring the water to a boil, and after the water begins to boil, reduce the heat to low and cover the pan.
- Gently simmer, covered, for 15 minutes, (there may still be some water not yet absorbed). Remove from heat.
- Keeping the pan covered, let it stand for 5 minutes, or until the remaining water is absorbed.
- Remove the lid and gently fluff the quinoa. Set aside to cool completely.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the oil, and then stir in the onion. Cook for 1-2 minutes, or until soft. Stir in the chicken and cook for about 5 minutes or until the chicken is browned and cooked through. Stir in the Worcestershire sauce and remove from the heat. Set aside to cool.
- Divide and spread half of the cheese on top of 4 tortillas. Add a heaping 1/4 cup of cooked quinoa on top of each of the cheese layers. Divide the chicken and spread on top of the quinoa layers. Add a final layer of cheese and gently spread the layers evenly around tortilla, leaving a little empty gap at the edges of tortilla. Place another tortilla on top.
- Heat a large skillet or griddle over medium-high heat. Place the filled tortilla on the pan, and cook the tortilla for about 3 minutes or until the first side is golden, then carefully flip over the quesadilla and cook for another 2-3 minutes, or until the second side is golden and the cheese is completely melted.
- Remove from the pan and allow to cool for a few minutes, and then cut into 4-6 pieces.
Serve WithSalsa, guacamole, and/or sour cream