- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1 cup steel-cut oats
- 4 cups water
- Kosher salt
- 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons cinnamon
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 apples with skin on, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon unsalted butter
How to make this recipe
- Bring the quinoa, oats, 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt and water to a rolling boil in a large pot. Reduce heat, add 3 tablespoons of cinnamon and 1 cup of brown sugar, and stir. Let the mixture simmer for 10 to 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Once the water is absorbed into the grains, remove from heat, and let cool for 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350º. Butter an 8-by-8-inch or 11-by-7-inch baking dish and set aside. In a small bowl, mix 1 tablespoon brown sugar with 1 tablespoon cinnamon. In a separate bowl, lightly beat 2 eggs, then slowly add them to quinoa and oats mixture, stirring constantly. Add the baking powder and apples, and mix well. Transfer mixture to the baking dish, and top with brown sugar and cinnamon mixture. Bake, uncovered, 25 to 35 minutes or until bubbly and brown on top. Let sit for 5 to 10 minutes, then serve.
The quinoa and steel-cut oats can be made a day ahead and refrigerated. Add eggs, baking powder, and freshly-cut apples before baking.