Quick White Bean Stew with Swiss Chard and Tomatoes
- TOTAL TIME: 35 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
The Good News Low in fat but high in protein, beans are one of Joe Bastianich's favorite ingredients. He uses white beans here, but he also loves making this recipe with chickpeas and flat gigante beans: "The bigger and creamier the beans, the better."
Great Ideas for Canned Beans
- 2 pounds Swiss chard, large stems discarded and leaves cut crosswise into 2-inch strips
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 cup canned tomatoes, chopped
- One 16-ounce can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- Bring a saucepan of water to a boil. Add the chard and simmer over moderate heat until tender, 8 minutes. Drain the greens and gently press out excess water.
- In the saucepan, heat the oil. Add the garlic and crushed red pepper and cook over moderate heat until the garlic is golden, 1 minute. Add the tomatoes and bring to a boil. Add the beans and simmer over moderately high heat for 3 minutes. Add the chard and simmer over moderate heat until the flavors meld, 5 minutes. Season the stew with salt and serve.
This goes well with an earthy, cherry-rich Sangiovese.