- 2 pounds Swiss chard, large stems discarded and leaves cut crosswise into 2-inch strips
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 cup canned tomatoes, chopped
- One 16-ounce can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
How to make this recipe
Bring a saucepan of water to a boil. Add the chard and simmer over moderate heat until tender, 8 minutes. Drain the greens and gently press out excess water.
In the saucepan, heat the oil. Add the garlic and crushed red pepper and cook over moderate heat until the garlic is golden, 1 minute. Add the tomatoes and bring to a boil. Add the beans and simmer over moderately high heat for 3 minutes. Add the chard and simmer over moderate heat until the flavors meld, 5 minutes. Season the stew with salt and serve.
One Serving 274 cal, 13 gm carb, 16 gm fat, 2.1 gm sat fat, 9 gm protein, 11 gm fiber.
This goes well with an earthy, cherry-rich Sangiovese.