- 2 pounds Swiss chard, large stems discarded and leaves cut crosswise into 2-inch strips
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 cup canned tomatoes, chopped
- One 16-ounce can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
How to make this recipe
- Bring a saucepan of water to a boil. Add the chard and simmer over moderate heat until tender, 8 minutes. Drain the greens and gently press out excess water.
- In the saucepan, heat the oil. Add the garlic and crushed red pepper and cook over moderate heat until the garlic is golden, 1 minute. Add the tomatoes and bring to a boil. Add the beans and simmer over moderately high heat for 3 minutes. Add the chard and simmer over moderate heat until the flavors meld, 5 minutes. Season the stew with salt and serve.
One Serving 274 cal, 13 gm carb, 16 gm fat, 2.1 gm sat fat, 9 gm protein, 11 gm fiber.
This goes well with an earthy, cherry-rich Sangiovese.