Quick Vietnamese Noodle Soup with Beef
- TOTAL TIME: 20 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
Rocco DiSpirito likes to heat shirataki noodles (a low-calorie noodle made from tofu or a kind of sweet potato) in store-bought chicken broth seasoned with lime juice.
Video: Rocco DiSpirito demonstrates this recipe
More Noodle Soups
- 3 cups chicken stock or low-sodium broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon agave syrup
- 1 tablespoon finely grated fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- Two 8-ounce packages shirataki noodles, rinsed and drained (see Note)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice, plus lime wedges, for serving
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 pound trimmed beef tenderloin, very thinly sliced across the grain
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1/2 cup chopped basil
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup chopped scallions
- 1 cup mung bean sprouts
- Sriracha or other garlic-chile sauce, for serving
- In a large saucepan, combine the chicken stock with the water, agave syrup, grated ginger and soy sauce and bring to a boil. Add the noodles and simmer over low heat for 2 minutes. Add the lime juice and season with salt and pepper.
- Using tongs, transfer the noodles to bowls. Add the beef to the noodles and ladle the hot broth on top. Drizzle with the sesame oil and top with the basil, cilantro, scallions and bean sprouts. Serve with lime wedges and chile sauce.
One Serving 160 cal, 7 gm fat, 2.4 gm sat fat, 11 gm carb, 3 gm fiber, 15 gm protein.
Argentinean Malbec's juicy, dark berry fruit is a nice match for this comforting noodle soup.